Alright, so I have not updated my blog in awhile so those that were reading my "random thoughts" my apologies. Its been quite a whirlwind since I blogged but I think it is appropriate that the last time I wrote something I was complaining of when spring was coming. Well spring is officially here! Okay so we had this brief snow/sleet incident about a week ago but according the calendars, spring has arrived! Alright enough about my rant about the weather, I finished the book LifeStories by lead singer Mark Hall (Casting Crowns) and for some reason I had the urge to read another book by another one of my favorite worship leaders Chris Tomlin. For those that are interested the book is called Chris Tomlin The Way I Was Made: Words and Music for an Unusual Life. As I have been reading this book on and off, the chapter I read today hit me. Maybe it will hit you too the way it challenged me. Chris Tomlin goes into this chapter and asks the question of what the scriptures have to say of how we worship. So many times has the church been divided on the music that is played on Sunday. Well here are a few things Chris Tomlin found out: "1st: Lift your hands. Psalms 134:2 says, Life up your hands in the sanctuary and praise the Lord. Why? I think raising our hands to God communicates so many different, important things." He goes on to mention two examples of one watch any football game on Sunday afternoon (or for those that are College football fans, Saturday) and see what happens when an athlete scores and see the immediate response. Hands go up! Okay so maybe you aren't a sports fan but maybe you'll relate to this example. Watch a small child when Mom or Dad comes home after being gone all day. Up goes the little child's hands! I was able to witness this with my 1 1/2 year old nephew.
"2nd: Bow down. Psalme 95:6 says, Come let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker. We just don't worship someone we think we're bigger or more important than. " Who can be more important in our lives than our wonderful Creator and Savior?
3rd: Be still before Him. "Ecclesiastes 5:2 says do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before your God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. vs 7: Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God. How many times do we just flippantly walk into a worship service and begin singing or praying with little thought beforehand. I've always thought church would be much better if peopel came to bring their offerings, to give their thanks, to celebrate God's faithfulness, to praise Him for His provision... and pretty much shut up about everything else. That's the church I want to be a part of-the one that enters ready to meet with God."
4th: Shout for Joy "Psalms 95:1 and 100:1 says Let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation, and shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Over and over, the Psalms picture all of creation making a lot of noise in the praise of God." Picture this: In Heaven, its a worship celebration thats going on all the time!
5th: Even dance. "2nd Samuel 6:14 states David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might, while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sounds of trumpets." Alright so I know you are saying, I'm not a swing dancer, I can't keep a beat, or I can't even do what that guy on the movie "Hitch" did. You know what? Neither could David. David embarassed his wife Michal but He was still willing to worship God in public display to humble himself and show how great God is.
Finally as I close this blog, (not forever of course!) remember what Scripture tells us. I was totally convicted this and think next time you go to a worship service, will you life your hands?, bow down, be still, shout for joy, dance for Jesus, our Lord of Lords, King of Kings, Master of the Universe?
No comments:
Post a Comment