Saturday, January 13, 2007

Excerpts on Reading

Lately I have been reading a book called Lifestories by Mark Hall and it has really challenged me in my testimony of Jesus Christ. Mark Hall is a youth pastor/lead worship leader for a famous Christian band. Maybe you know the band I am talking about. In case you don't know, I'll reveal the name at the end of my spiel. In one of the chapters, Mark talks about music or as some may refer to as Worship. Mark has defined Worship as "praying without asking for anything. it's just loving on God and living for an audience of One. But that prayer extends through every breathing moment. Worship cannot be confined to a sanctuary, auditorium, or arena. Worship is life. It means living so that everything we do makes Jesus smile. Think about seeing Jesus smile..." As I read that last statement, I was thinking what does that mean? Am I putting a smile to Jesus face? Mark goes on to say "I want to please God with everything I do; I want to honor Him with every aspect of my life. I cannot compartmentalize and reserve certain areas for myself, my family, my career, and my hobbies. No, I am entirely His. I am not my own; I was bought at a price, the highest one ever paid. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) " His purpose with my life is to bring Him glory and to be conformed to the image of His Son. "We (Christians) are to bring God glory and to make Him smile in everything we do and to point others to Him." The next couple lines brings it home. "God reminded me that there must be more to worship than singing someone else's song. I can stand in a worship service and parrot the lyrics on the screen with the rest of the congregation, but I didn't write that song. I'm singing someone else's song, someone else's experience with God that they set to music. Just because I know it and can sing it while raising my hand does not make it worship. My heart makes it worship. My intentions make it worship. Everything about me makes it worship. So I have to stand before my pierced Savior every time and ask myself some questions: How did I worship Him with my life this week? Today? What has my lifesong really said?" After reading these chapters I not only appreciated "Casting Crowns"(answer to the band name) more but it convicted my heart. There were some things that I did that did not put a smile to God's face this week. I realized that my sin prevented Him from smiling back at me. I also realized that He doesn't need me. He wants me. May I live today and everyday as an act of worship and put a smile to my Creator, Savior, and Guide in all that I do.

No comments: