Thursday, September 18, 2008
Feedback on some questions
As I was wondering what to write, a discussion topic came up that made want to get people's perspectives. So for the people that read my blog, please comment on this topic: What does it mean to be Baptist? You can interpret that however you want. Here's the second question, if someone were to come up to ask you are you a Baptist or are you a Christian? how would you answer them? I'm doing some research so please feel free to answer as freely as you want on these topics. I'll let you know where I'm going with this once I get some feedback.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey there...
I am a Christian. I have accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior, not any particular denomination of church.
To me, being anything other than that can in itself become a type of idolatry. If you allow yourself to become more concerned with the name on the building or what people wear, even which version of the Bible is the "right" one you end up too concerned with arguing semantics and policy instead of celebrating the love of God and your salvation through Christ. Anything that takes away from our relationship with God is in essence an idol.
I know, I'm probably not the "norm" when it comes to being Baptist, I tell people that I am a Christian and if prompted for more will elaborate as being part of a local family of believers who attend a Baptist church.
Looking forward to hearing the results of your research!
Your question sort of begs the answer to the question "what is the difference between a church that says 'community' in its name from one that has a denominational affiliation?"
My answer would be the same: the denominational name means that the church (or a person) identifies itself with a larger community of Christians who have a similar set of rituals, as well as theologically tend to emphasize particular teachings in the Bible.
Baptist = brand of Chrisianity opposed to baby baptism.
Other than that...there are so many different types of Baptists tht run the gammot from ultra-conservative to ultra-liberal it's a bit ridiculous.
Post a Comment