This week travels took me to Chicago. It was fun even though I was there for only three days. On Tuesday night I went to this really cool Sushi bar downtown. Even some of my classmates that didn't like Sushi tried it and seemed to like it. Now if I could only remember what it was called. I'll think of it later. Anyway so some random thoughts came into my head and wanted your opinion on something.
Hypothetical situation: Mikey (Christian guy) likes Susie (Christian gal) Mikey prays for quite some time if he should ask Susie out. He finally decides to go for it and asks Susie out to dinner. They enjoy each others company so much they go on several more dates from dinner, movies, museum, etc. Their conversations are great, they feel comfortable around each other, things are just going great. Then suddenly out of the blue on the 4th or 5th date Susie says something like "I've been praying about it and I heard from God and well we can only be friends." Mikey is stunned because he thought they were still getting to know each other but Susie decides that they can only be friends because she heard from God.
Alright so here are my questions. Do you ever feel that Susie's line of "hearing from God" is just a line to just say I don't like you in a polite way? Do you ever think they are using Christianity in the wrong use? I'm not saying Susie could have not heard from God but after four or five dates, how do you really know? If Susie heard from God, what did He say sound like?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh Archie... an age-old question that tends to pop up from time to time - what fun! I've actually used that line - "God has made it clear to me that we are not meant to be"... or something along those lines. Oye, but I really did feel it was the right decision to end that relationship. The thing was that he was hearing from God that I was the ONE and that we should get married! What to do?! I stuck to my "no" and I do not regret it.
I think that answer can be used as a crutch, but it also holds some truth. Are we not called to seek God and his will? Will not the Holy Spirit help lead and guide us?
I also believe that answer can sometimes be given as a result of feeling fearful in entering a more serious relationship. One needs to take into account all the factors and be honest with themselves and forthright with the person they are in the relationship with.
Okay... I'll get off my soap box... at least for now.
This is a great question to be brought up in our Relationship class starting in January in Kairos!!!
I've actually used that line to. But like Jen Vare said, I truly believed I was doing right thing. It wasn't so much that God spoke to me directly, but it was more of a feeling. My situation was different in that I wanted to date the girl and she wanted to date me, but I just kept getting this sense of...no that's not what I want you to do right now. I talked with people about these feelings and they all said it really sounded like God speaking to me and I should listen. I don't regret what I did either, because I know God was leading me down a different path. Matt G.
Bro,
I would agreee with what Matt and Jen posted above. At times it can be used as a crutch, but for the most part I have seen that the people were being truthful. And as Jen said we are supposed to seek His guidance in all things and so when He gives it we should listen. From experience it pays to listen so even if it is the girl who says, "God is leading me elsewhere", then it is good to not press her. I just wish God would tell both parties and not just one, for if we are both seeking His will it seems that we should both recieve the answer and not just one of us. But maybe He telling one of us is enough.
I really like what Jon said about this.
But I guess, the end result is that it is not meant to be... At least "Mikey" made his moves and doesn't have to have regrets like "if I had asked her what would have happened?"
I would say, though, that God knows a person's heart and we never will... We can only accept what they say unless they tell us differently.
Post a Comment