Friday, November 16, 2007

Two Different Extremes


Its been awhile since I have posted but literally I have not even been on the east coast. For the past two weeks I have gone to different states and experiencing two different cultures. On the week of Nov. 5 I was in Little Rock, Arkansas. Now as fun as Little Rock sounds, I would say if you want to go somewhere on vacation avoid Arkansas. Its really not that bad its just nothing to do there. Now grant it I got off of work at 8:00pm and my hotel was in the ghetto part of Little Rock, I don't think exploring would be the safest thing to do. The client even told us we were in the "ghetto part of Little Rock".
This week however travels took me to Placentia, California. Now Placentia, CA had more charm than Little Rock, Arkansas. Placentia for those of you don't know is in Orange County or Southern California. This time the client hours were from 8:00am-9:00pm. However unlike Arkansas, California is a place that starts @9:00pm. I was amazed of many places that were open 24 hours and the millions and millions of people. Grant it the whole state of Arkansas could fit into one crevice (sp?) of California is beside the point. I met up with my friend after a long day at work in which we went out to dinner and walked around downtown Fullerton, CA a neighboring city in Orange County. Cal State Fullerton University (Home of many College World Series Baseball titles) is located in Fullerton. Imagine Franklin St. (UNC-Chapel Hill), Main St. (UVA) and then double or triple the size. There were bars, clubs, restaurants, self defense class, all going on about 10pm! The crazy thing was it got even more crowded as the night went on. Anyhow my friend and I tried to go to this duel piano bar but there was no place to seat and also you could not be heard. We eventually found this country western restaurant where we got caught up. My friend finally dropped me off about 11:30pm. Now that doesn't sound late but remember I was on Pacific time. That calculates to 2:30am est. I was feeling most of the jetlag today. One comment my friend made to me was an interesting statement. He said since I was still feeling some effects of jet lag was that I was on the wrong time zone and that California was on the wrong time zone. I wasn't offended by the statement but I was thinking to myself if I am on the wrong time zone, why do the markets like the NYSE and NASDAQ run on the eastern time zone? Perhaps maybe California is on the wrong time zone. Anyway my trips were fun but I am definitely looking to a little R&R this weekend until Monday. I will leave you with this picture of what downtown Fullerton looked like.

No comments: