Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Morning Devotion

As I was reading one of my morning devotions, these paragraphs hit home.

"Whether people of faith or not, we long for someone or something or someplace that can make right what is so obviously wrong in this world. Andyet, carrying ideas of what that someone or something will look like, andnot finding it, we end up doubting the promising thought we once held onto. When the route we see in front of us seems irreconcilable with theplace we thought we were going, we come to despise what once seemedhopeful, holding in its place shattered expectations, fear, and anger.

Like the psalmist we stand poised to remember, seeing God in history,seeing ourselves, seeing today. Though I am tempted to keep the behaviorof those who have gone before me at a distance, I am comforted by theproximity of God throughout their story, continually drawing them untoHimself. Though they grumbled and failed and begged him to leave, Godcontinued to lead them, in mercy breaking each idol they put before Him,prying from their hands the things that blocked their view of the promiseHe would not forget."

As I look at this beautiful summer day, I will hold on to God's promises and know throughout my past history, my present history, and unwritten history, He will always be there. He will deliver me because I am a child of God.

No comments: